[rt-users] Performance Increase through Indexing...

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Thu Aug 23 12:33:47 EDT 2001

On Thu, Aug 23, 2001 at 12:21:52PM -0400, David C. Troy wrote:

> > Excellent! Thanks.
> >
> > I'm really kinda surprised that the Creator indices would have any effect.
> > What prompted you to add those?
>
> Well, that was sort of what I wanted your input on.  I think the ones that
> made the biggest impact were the Ticket, TransactionId, and EffectiveId
> indexes on the various tables;  wasn't sure what the creator field was but
> assumed it was a reference to the Users table.  Any field used as an
> external reference between tables is usually reasonable to index.

Because the load of Users isn't done a join time, but is a delayed-load,
if the data is asked for, I suspect this particular thing doesn't buy much.
But I'll try to take a look at the others and see if there's any reason
not to add all of them to the default schema going forward.

> What would be really cool is if you could type up a moderately detailed
> description of the RT2 database schema.  Then I'd know for sure what all
> these fields actually do.

What of that exists is in etc/schema.pm.