[rt-users] Assigning priority on incoming tickets?

Chris Scott chris at hostorlando.com
Fri Aug 31 10:26:10 EDT 2001

Hi Shane,

Yep, same situation here.

At first, I wanted people to be able to send email to a separate address
that would enter the ticket in RT and set the priority higher than default.
This is pretty easy to do if you don't mind modifying rt-mailgate to accept
another command line argument and then set the priority if that argument is
passed.  Then, in your mailer aliases you can create an alias that calls
rt-mailgate w/the new command line argument.

Then, I wanted to have an email sent to our pager system to alert us.  This
can probably be done using your mailer and having it forward a copy of the
message to your pager system--I didn't choose this route.  What I ended up
doing was modifying our support request web form to add a dropdown for
importance--defaulting to normal.  The script that processes the form sends
a message to my paging system if the importance is high or critical and also
send an email to the RT address I mentioned above.

To make all this work, we notified our customers that in order for a ticket
to be created with a high or critical priority they had to use the Web
interface.  If they just send an email, it will be normal priority.  The
only drawback is if our site is down but that in itself will trigger all
kinds of bells, buzzers and pages.

Hope this helps,
Chris Scott
Host Orlando, Inc.