[rt-users] Re: DB problem?

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Fri Dec 21 12:46:10 EST 2001

Ok.. This looks to have been tracked down to a browser usage problem.
 And, as per Jesse's request, I am sending in this summary to keep
everyone up to date.

It seems that Netscape 6 (Mozilla based) and other Mozilla based
browsers as well as IE 6 try to be a little smart in guessing the way
that the end user is working with forms.  For example, if you are
entering information into a form and you fill out the fields, it guesses
that if you hit "Enter" or "Return", you really mean that you want to
submit the form.

Netscape 4.x never behaved this way (not sure about IE).  You physically
had to hit the "Submit" button with the mouse in order for the form to
be submitted.

Well, as it works out, if you want to "Modify people related to ticket
#blah", and you want to add email addresses as "New Watchers", you can
tickle a bug (possibly in form within RT, but I am not sure).  If you
select a "Type" under add new watchers and then enter in an email
address followed by the "Enter" key, both Netscape 6 and IE 6 "submit"
the form.

Apparently, the way the form is getting submitted, some variable is
_not_ getting set, so the resulting page displayed is the original
"Modify people" page as if you had not made any changes.

The proper way to make these changes is to _not_ hit the enter key, but
move the mouse over to the "Save Changes" button and click on it.

I saw this problem on two separate RT installations (didn't check beyond
that), one with RT 2.0.9 and the other with RT-2.0.10-test3.  Both
behaved the same way.. both under Netscape 6.x and IE 6.  Both behaved
properly when the Save Changes button was manually clicked as opposed to
hitting the "Enter" key.

-Rich

--
Richard West                   $14.95 Registrations      mailto:rwest at wesmo.com