[rt-users] Moving rt to another machine

Greg White gregw-rt-users at greg.cex.ca
Tue Feb 6 22:09:25 EST 2001

On Tue, Feb 06, 2001 at 08:28:35PM -0600, Todd Jagger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'd like to move our rt to another machine.  I have rt all set up on
> the new machine and was wondering if I can just tar up certain
> directories on the old machine, then untar them in the proper place on
> the new machines, and have everything like it was, with all the tickets
> in tact and such.  If so, what directories would I want to
> migrate?  What might break when I do this?  I know to add the aliases
> and such but am not sure where rt has put stuff for mysql.

I've done this once, and this is what I did (from memory -- may be
missing some steps -- back up everything!)

1. Get RT installed on the new machine, preferably with the same options
as the other RT.
2. Create a new queue and mysql database, with the same name as the
other RT.
3. Backup the mysql database(s), and replace it/them with the databases
from the old machine.
4.Start using the new RT.

I'm sure there are cleaner ways of doing it, but this one worked....

--
Greg White
Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent