[rt-users] RT/BSDI/postfix

Michael Hall mhall at riverside.org
Wed Feb 21 16:03:00 EST 2001

Hi, first off I'd just like to say hello and thanks for a great program.
Been testing RT for awhile at home and recently setup it up at work as
an alternative to Jitterbug that I'd been using for tracking change
requests and also set up a queue for our tech support.

Running it at home I've had no problems at all (Linux, RT 1.0.7, postfix,
and MySQL 3.23.32).

At work we use BSDI 3.1, RT 1.0.7, postfix, and MySQL 3.22.32. After getting
by the initial installation hurdles (BSDI doesn't have a 'root' group,
tweaked the Makefile to use group 'wheel' instead). Creating a queue also
always errors out when copying the templates, haven't figured that out yet,
it looks like a umask problem or problem, wasn't to worried about that as I
just copied them over manually and reran 'gmake fixperms'.

Once installed it runs great entering in requests, etc. but it has major
problems replying, responding, etc. to them. For instance if I reply to
a request it eventually times out (3-4 minutes) and the browser comes back
with 'No data' instead of redisplaying the request with the new transaction
data, yet if I go back to the queue and then redisplay the request then I
see everything. Also while the browser is spinning its wheels the reply
email is sent ok. Using 'top' I can see a perl process running and a
'tail -f' of the mysql log shows a query entered:

536 Query      select effective_sn from each_req WHERE serial_num = 5

And it just sits there for awhile (3-4 minutes) and then quits at which time
the browser returns the 'No data'. Yet the perl process is still running and
I have to manually kill it off. At one time I had 6-7 perl processes left
hanging around driving up the load average and consuming all the cpu (0% idle)
thats when I really noticed something wasn't cool :-) It doesn't do this
for each transaction, every once in a while it works fine but at least half
the time I see this problem.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are any known problems, issues, MySQL tweaks,
etc. when running with BSDI. Also any ideas on how to further debug and
track down the problem would be very helpful.

PS: I initially had RT and MySQL on seperate machines, but after I started
    seeing this problem I re-installed RT on the MySQL machine to avoid
    accessing the database remotely but that didn't make any difference.

--
Do files get embarrassed when you unzip them ????

Mike Hall,
Unix Admin   - Rock Island Communications           <mikeh at rockisland.com>
System Admin - riverside.org                        <mhall at riverside.org>