[rt-users] rt2 features?

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Mon Feb 26 15:11:52 EST 2001

On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:29:42AM -0500, Kurt Yoder wrote:
> I don't mind if you send it to rt-devel; I've clarified some of the stuff
> below as well as asking more questions (sorry).

> > rt2 lets you link tickets. you can do what you want with
> > a little bit of UI
>
> is the UI customization part of rt2 only? if also part of rt1, are there any
> docs?

It's only part of RT2.

> are links also only part of 2?

Links are new in RT2

> hmm... I was thinking along the lines of:
> each relative priority gets a unique "container"
> each "container" has one or more tickets
> each "container" has exactly one other container above it and one below it
> (exception: lowest container has nothing below it, highest has nothing above it)
>
> to put one ticket in between two other tickets:
> create a new container and put the new ticket in it
> container below new container changes "above" pointer to new container
> new container changes "above" pointer to what container below it was pointing to
>
> to put one ticket in identical priority to another ticket:
> add it to the same container as the other ticket

I'm really not sure that there's much win of doing that over numerical priority.
I also suspect that it would be a _lot_ more code and trouble than it's worth.

> > > tightly linked to inventory management; include serial-number field
> > > this way I'd be able to reference all tickets associated with a particular
> > > machine
> >
> > probably 2.2 or 2.4 when someone writes an asset tracking system to tie things
> > to.
> >
> > for now, you can create a RefersTo link for each ticket that "RefersTo asset://domain/ASSETID.  then some simple config file hacking to tie to your asset trakcing sytem.  what asset tracking system do you use?
>
> is RefersTo part of RT1?

Nope. RefersTo is just a type of link.

> Unfortunately I don't have asset tracking yet; has anyone else done this? What
> do they use?
>
> > > more granular control of making changes to tickets & adding them
> > > (is this the ACL?)
> >
> > ACLs do that. there now.
>
> Are there any docs/instrucs on how to use this?

By 'there now' I actually meant that they were there now in RT2. Docs
are still forthcoming.

> <snip>
>
> > > sort main view by area, priority
> >
> > 1.0 has that.
>
> Oops, I meant filter, not sort...

RT2 can sort on thse things.

> <snip>
>
> > > section "also look at these other issues in X area:"
> >
> > The related tickets links should handle that for you.
>
> Is this also only in RT2?

Once again, this is just an application of the new Links system.

> <snip>
>
> > > have links to other tickets in close-by areas
> > > administrator defines "close-by" areas in relation to other areas
> >
> > I'm dubious about the utility of this. and I'm not sure how it would get implemented. can you give me a 'story' of how this would work?
>
> OK, I'm in an area club x (for us, I've defined the areas as club x, y, and z).
> Club y is close by, and I just closed out what I had to do at club x. I'd like
> to pop a reminder up saying "if you have time, also drop by club y and look at
> these tickets". Then I'd show a list of all tickets at club y.

Hrm. I'm not sure how I'd handle this. I'll think about it.

> <snip>
>
> > > automatic re-activation of tickets from "stalled" status after
> user-defined time
> > > only administrator can stall tickets indefinitely
> > >
> > someone needs to write an "RT cron" tool to do this sort of thing.
>
> OK, how do I sign up?

Grab RT2, install it and start fleshing out your requirements. bounce them
to me before you start coding if you can and I'll give you my thoughts.

> <snip>
>
> > I'd probably do this with a keywords select.  (imagine being able to
> > have as many 'area' selections as you need with their own names and list of
> > options. per queue or global. that's keyword selects)
>
> only in rt2?

Yep

> My apologies for the extra time/questions! Thanks...

no problem

jesse reed vincent -- root at eruditorum.org -- jesse at fsck.com

As I sit here alone looking at green text on a laptop in a mostly bare room listening
to loud music wearing all black, I realize that that it is much less cool in real life :)
			--Richard Tibbetts