[rt-users] must user "root" exist for rt?

Jan Okrouhly okrouhly at civ.zcu.cz
Wed Feb 28 05:03:04 EST 2001

On Tue, 27 Feb 2001, Jesse wrote:

> Change root's email address to '' ;)  but having the root account is useful
> so that root can perform actions within RT from the cli.

Nod. But user root really needn't to exist - We use about three instances
of RT with more than 2 years w/o "root" account.

...After install just log in as root, make an rt-admin account with Admin
RT check box marked (empty e-mail address as written above) and log off.
Log in as the new rt-admin and you could delete the "root". CLI is
accessible to you just after creation an UNIX account rt-admin - to use
it, you have to do "su rt-admin", so given RT instance is a little
protected against possible mistake of real "root".

> On Tue, Feb 27, 2001 at 02:13:56PM -0600, Christopher Kolar wrote:
> > OK, my first RT system is up and running happily.  Now that I have
> > populated it with some admin users I was wondering if it is allowable (or
> > suggested/discouraged) to remove the root user from rt?  The main problem
> > seems to be that root is an admin on all of my queues (and I can't remove
> > it), so I am getting duplicate email notification (root on the server
> > forwards to my personal account).  Any lessons learned from experienced
> > would be appreciated.
> >
> > --chris

> --
> jesse reed vincent -- root at eruditorum.org -- jesse at fsck.com
> 70EBAC90: 2A07 FC22 7DB4 42C1 9D71 0108 41A3 3FB3 70EB AC90
>
> And I'm told we do share some common rituals. Our "flame war" is apparently
> held in person in their land and called "project meeting".
> 					-Alan Cox [on "Suits"]

Jan Okrouhly
Laboratory for Computer Science             |    phone: (420 19) 7491588
University of West Bohemia                  | location: Univerzitni 22
Americka 42, 306 14 Pilsen, Czech Republic  |     room: UI404