[rt-users] Replying to email from outside of RT

Grant Miller grant at pico.apple.com
Wed Feb 28 12:01:00 EST 2001

I have run into a interesting situation in Request Tracker and was wondering
if this is a bug or something that Request Tracker doesn't support.

Here's what happens:

1. Requestor emails in a problem, creates a new request.

2. A RT user takes the ticket and uses the "Reply" function in RT to send email
back to the requestor.

3. The requestor gets the reply in email and responds to it.

4. The owner of the ticket gets the response from the requestor in email. [1]

5. The owner replys to the email they get from RT that has the requestors
response in it from their email program (not RT).

6. This message goes back to RT, but is not sent to the requestor.

Should Request Tracker send mail back to the requestor in step #5, #6?

I know that I should probably just use the RT interface for sending all
correspondence, but when you get correspondence from the requestor in email,
it is much easier to reply right there.

-Grant Miller    grant at pico.apple.com

 Unix Systems Admin, Engineering Compute Services

[1]:  The queue is setup with Owner: Send email notification of each transaction
Queue Members: Send copies of all correspondence
Requestors: Send email notifications of each transaction