[rt-users] serial number format

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Mon Jan 22 04:44:32 EST 2001

We depend on the database to generate those unique serial numbers.
If you can get mysql to generate sequence numbers in the apropriate range,
it should just work.  If you can't make mysql do it, there's not really any way.

One way (assuming that the serial #'s INT type has enough bits..which I can't
look at right now)  is to have a cron job that inserts an entry into the
each_req table with a serial number of yyyymmdd0000.  As long as you never
get more than 9999 tickets in a given day this should be fine.  Note that
I don't know if _anyone_ who's ever done this.

        -j