[rt-users] Keywords / Forwarding / Control / LDAP

Jesse jesse at fsck.com
Mon Jul 2 09:01:40 EDT 2001

On Mon, Jul 02, 2001 at 03:23:35PM +1000, Teo de Hesselle wrote:

> I've implemented rt 1.0.7 for a couple of units within the university, and
> it's performing well.
>
> We're in the process of thinking about rt 2, and I have a few questions:
>
> 1) Can anyone explain what the purpose of keywords is?

Imagine if you could define multiple area pulldowns per queue, optionally be
able to select multiple values for some areas and could define areas
that apply to all queues.  That's Keywords.

> 2) The information office receives hundreds of emails a week, and many of
> them must be forwarded onto the people responsible (who don't use RT). How
> difficult would it be to have a 'forward' button which would present a
> drop-down list of addresses, fwd the ticket on, and mark it as resolved?
>
> Perl doesn't scare me, but I'd rather ask here first in case someone's
> already done it. Any hints as to where would be the appropriate place to
> put this code would also be appreciated.

It shouldn't be that hard to do, but I've not heard of anyone doing it
so far.  You'd actually probably want to be doing this directly
to the web front end.  Take a look at webrt/Ticket/Display.html and
the components it calls.

> 3) As I mentioned, Several departments use RT, and at the moment I have
> several seperate instances of RT installed. I'd much prefer to maintain
> one single database, and still be able to delegate user account control to
> the appropriate supervisors in the departments concerned, *without* them
> being able to mess with the other queue's settings. Is this even remotely
> possible?

The access control system is pretty flexible, but I'd need to know waht you mean by 'user account control' before I could give you a reasonable answer.

> 4) We already have the entire university in an LDAP system - Has anyone
> written something to provide LDAP authentication to RT (and/or importing
> name,email etc from LDAP). Jesse said a long time ago that RT2 would be a
> lot easier to add authentication methods to - if I code it myself, where
> should I be looking ?

Well, I haven't touched the importer, but for authentication, you might
want to look over the last week or two's list archives at http://lists.fsck.com
People have been dealing with setting up 'External Authentication' which
would mean that you'd have to set up mod_ldap and then you'd bascially be
done ;)