[rt-users] Performance problems

Vivek Khera khera at kcilink.com
Mon Jul 16 10:30:59 EDT 2001

TSG> But this does lead to a good question for the developer: is there
TSG> any (easy) way to knock down the system requirements on this
TSG> product?  It would be nice to toss an old system from the closet

The general mod_perl tuning docs (which come with mod_perl) should be
of help (if not, let me know and I shall revise them.)  In particular,
if your system gets a lot of web page hits, you'll want to put a
buffer in front of it (reverse proxy is the curren term for this.)
This will let the buffer program speak to the heavy mod_perl
application server, and then trickle the data out to the remote site
at 28.8kbps, leaving the mod_perl app server to answer another
request.

Also, you absolutely don't want the mod_perl heavy server handling
images or any other simple static content if you can avoid it.
Depedning on the buffering program you use, this may be manually
configured, or dynamic.  The mod_perl guide also has many tips on this
topic.

If you're not using mod_perl for anything else on your web server,
think about splitting off the RT web server to its own instance on
another IP address or another port.  This will minimize its impact on
your regular web server.