[rt-users] Calendaring functions?

Shane Landrum srl at mail.boston.com
Mon Jul 30 09:56:20 EDT 2001

On Fri, Jul 27, 2001 at 02:14:00AM -0400, Jesse Vincent (jesse at fsck.com) wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 26, 2001 at 11:34:28AM -0400, Sheeri Kritzer wrote:
> > Does RT2 have calendaring functions?  i.e., we have licenses set to
> > expire, and my boss wants to know if we can use RT to either graphically
> > display that or remind us somehow that they're coming due to be renewed.
>
> Well, what I'd recommend with exisitng code is to create tickets
> for "Renew license" and set the apropriate due dates.
>
> If you want a real asset manager that could handle these things properly,
> we should probably talk off-list

The iCalendar standard (rfc2445) is the internet standard protocol
for calendaring and scheduling. (Well, it's standards-track,
but lots of things already support it. MS Exchange, Lotus Notes,
iPlanet calendar server...) It provides a standard way for you
to say, "This event happens at this time in the future; remind me
3 days before." It also does lots of other things, but that's the part
I think you'd care about.

I'm a developer on the Reefknot project, which is building tools
for shared calendaring in Perl. We want to make it easy to write
calendar tools, so companies don't have to depend on Exchange to
have calendar services.  One of the things we're going
to be working on is web-based calendaring applications. I suspect that
tying into our modules for scheduling purposes might be fruitful for
you. I'm one of the lead developers, and I'd be willing to help
you get up the learning curve if you're interested in having
RT's calendar-related functions be more robust.

The module you want to look at is Net::ICal, available on CPAN and
at http://reefknot.sourceforge.net. It requires Date::ICal, available
in the same places. If you're just interested in what we're doing
as a project, mail me offlist.

srl

--
Shane Landrum  (srl AT boston DOT com)  Software Engineer, boston.com