[rt-users] email gateway issue

Sheeri Kritzer skritz01 at emerald.tufts.edu
Mon Jul 30 12:00:54 EDT 2001

So, I have an issue with the e-mail interface to RT, and I think it's a
basic problem that I've read the installation instructions literally, and
they're not idiot-proof.

Basically, I've had rt cc stuff and send stuff to people, and rt just
doesn't send stuff to it.  I have the gateway configured just like it says
in the manual, and there don't appear to be any errors.  /var/spool/mqueue
is empty.

My question is this:  what precisely do I need running in the way of a
mail daemon?  It seems obvious to me that in order to *send* mail to rt, I
should need some sort of mail daemon running.  Since I try to do minimal
installs to avoid unnecessary software, I don't automagically install and
run sendmail.

I've mailed out from the machine using 'mail' and it worked fine.

I RTFM'd and that didn't help.  :(

It seems to me that it's obvious that I can't just send mail to rt and
assume it to automagically work, but why can't rt send mail out?  is it
specifically looking for sendmail?  if that's the case, why isn't that
anywhere in the documentation that I can see?

Sheeri Kritzer
Systems Administrator
University Systems Group
Tufts University