[rt-users] Problems with PostgreSQL

Damian Gerow damian at sentex.ca
Wed Jun 20 12:07:07 EDT 2001

> What version of postgres? Who built it? Are you sure it's set up properly?

I've re-installed postgres, (I built it), and I'm pretty sure it's built
properly.

The error I'm getting is (on a 'make install'):
	Now creating a database for RT.
	Enter the Pg password for postgres:
	Creating Pg database rt2.
	DBI->connect(dbname=template1;host=localhost) failed: connectDBStart() --
connect() failed: Connection refused at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 74
	connectDBStart() -- connect() failed: Connection refused at
/usr/lib/perl5/site_perl/5.6.1/DBIx/DataSource/Driver.pm line 74, <STDIN>
line 1.

Which translates to:
	my $dbh = DBI->connect( $new_dsn, $user, $pass ) or die $DBI::errstr;
in that file.

The error occurs in tools/initdb, in sub create_db, on line 197:
	create_database( $dsn, $DB_DBA, $DB_DBA_PASSWORD ) or die
$DBIx::DataSource::errstr;

I _know_ it's a connection error, and I'm not using tcpip sockets, yet I've
got the Unix domain socket in /tmp (as per the default install).  Do I need
to enable network access to the machine?  Should I move the domain socket
somewhere else?

(And how exactly does perl know where to find the domain socket?)