[rt-users] RT2 vs RT1

Karel P Kerezman rael at zero.kgon.com
Mon Jun 25 16:26:49 EDT 2001

On 25 Jun 2001 16:11:08 -0400, Shane Landrum wrote:
> So, I notice that RT2 is about to be released in a "suitable for
> production environments" version. I've just gone through setting
> up a demo of RT1 for my users, and they liked it, but if RT2 is
> going to be released soon, I may hold out. I need to deploy
> some ticket-tracking tool within 2 weeks; sooner is better.

They'll like RT2 even more, and if a message earlier today on the list
is any indication Jesse will be "shipping" a final build some time this
week or so.

> How soon will version 2 be released, and is it stable enough
> that my (nontechnical) users will be able to use it without
> something going wrong?

For the record, I'm using 1.3.99 (I'm waiting to upgrade until 2.0.0 is
final) with no functionality issues. We're a five-man technical
department with fairly uncomplicated needs, but we're happy nonetheless.

The system you put RT2 onto may have to be built a smidgen differently
from the RT1 rig, as mod_perl has been known to be a hurdle in RT2
deployment. I recommend a scan of this month's list archives before
jumping in.

(Oh, and for the idly curious, I'm writing up my Qmail And RT2
documentation right now, followed by some FAQ entries...)

--
---
  Karel P Kerezman - IS Admin, Entercom Portland LLC -