[rt-users] Replying to email from outside of RT

Lorens Kockum rt-id-45 at lists.lorens.org
Thu Mar 1 05:01:04 EST 2001

On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 11:05:00PM -0700, Wozz wrote:

> Speaking of bounces....are they handled properly by RT2?  We've had several
> instances where something went wrong, and an email got sent to a bad address,
> and it bounced back, and we had no idea anything was wrong until we noticed no
> response.

Extract from RT2 config.pm

# If $BouncesToRTOwner is defined, RT will send mail that it believes
# might be a bounce to $RT::OwnerEmail (Currently unimplemented)

# If $StoreBounces is defined, RT will record messages that it believes
# might be autogenerated and might lead to mail loops.
# As it does this, it will try to be careful not to send mail to the
# sender of these messages (Currently unimplemented)

So I suppose bounce handling is in the TODO list somewhere :-)

However, I expect bounces to be an almost-normal part of
operation, so I'm thinking of interpreting the bounce a little
(could even be done by diverting the e-mail before it gets into
RT), searching for the ticket ID, and attaching the bounce
to the ticket, which should then go from stalled to open for
operator attention.  Does that seem right to you?

--
#include <std_disclaim.h>                          Lorens Kockum