[rt-users] REG: HTML mails

James Dumser james.dumser at ericsson.com
Tue May 8 09:04:29 EDT 2001

On Mon, 7 May 2001 08:39:58 -0500, Dave Sherohman
  <dsherohman at westling.com> wrote:
>On Fri, May 04, 2001 at 03:35:28PM -0700, Eric Goodman wrote:
>> The case you describe is HTML only. For this I think you typically
>> see a message body with name "message, part 1" (though I would expect
>> you might see just "message") and type/subtype "text/html".
>
> The body's name is MTA-dependent.  A safer way to check for this would
> be to look for messages which have a text/html part, but no text/plain
> part. (You wouldn't want to look for text/html as the only part
> because it could have attachments, but still lack a plaintext version
> of the body.)

Netscape Mail encodes such emails as
  multipart/mixed
    multipart/alternative
      text/plain
      text/html
    attachments ...

In other words, it nests a multipart/alternative into a multipart/mixed.
I was in the process of developing a filter extend stripmime to handle
these other cases. In my flow, if I see a multipart/alternative entity,
I grab the text/plain sub-entity (I'm assuming it will always be there)
and ignore the rest.

James Dumser  james.dumser at ericsson.com