[rt-users] Re: suid_wrapper: Invalid cross-device link

Shane Allen shane at tacni.net
Sat May 19 03:39:32 EDT 2001

Frances Russell writes:

> I am installing RT-1.0.7 on RH6.2.
>
> Make install stops here:
>
> rm -f /var/www/cgi-bin/rt/webrt.cgi
> ln: cannot create hard link '/var/www/cgi-bin/rt/webrt.cgi' \
> to '/home/rt/bin/suid_wrapper':  Invalid cross-device link
>
> /var and /home are on different partitions on the same physical
> disk. Is this the problem?
>
> If so, can anyone help on how to solve it?
>
> Frances

The fact that they're on different partitions is the problem. The only real
solution to the problem is to use a soft link (which can span partitions),
or to install it in such a way that the program and the suid_wrapper are on
the same partition. if you want to change it to a soft link, the following
snippet should work from the command line (in the dir that the Makefile is
in:

perl -pi.old -e "s/ln  /ln -s /g;" Makefile

Disclaimer: I have no idea how this will affect execution. I figure they
were designed as hardlinks for a reason, especially since the rest of the
links are soft. They're prolly hard links cause of the default way apache
handles links (it doesn't follow soft links by default IIRC, though that is
a config-able option).

--
Shane Allen <shane at tacni.net>