[rt-users] RT/Mandrake 8 install details

Steve Gilbert gilbert at 8020softwaretools.com
Wed Nov 7 16:23:58 EST 2001

Since several folks have asked about this, I thought I would
post my haphazzard notes from installing RT on a Mandrake 8.0
system.  I've probably forgotten a few things, but hopefully
something here can help someone who is having problems.  Feel
free to write me if you have any specific questions.

These are NOT step-by-step instructions...just notes of some
of the oddities that weren't directly addressed in the RT
installation instructions.

First of all, I didn't install Mandrake on the machine in
question, and it obviously wasn't a complete install.  I had
to install a lot of RPMs to get things to work.  Unfortunately,
I didn't keep notes on what things required these missing
packages, so you're on your own there...but it wouldn't hurt
to check and make sure all this stuff is installed before you
begin:

apache-devel-1.3.19-3mdk.i586.rpm
db1-devel-1.85-4mdk.i586.rpm
libgdbm1-devel-1.8.0-14mdk.i586.rpm
libsfio-1999-1.i386.rpm
mm-devel-1.1.3-7mdk.i586.rpm
mod_perl-devel-1.3.19_1.25-3mdk.i586.rpm
perl-Mysql-1.22_16-1mdk.i586.rpm
cyrus-sasl-1.5.24-2mdk.i586.rpm
sfio-1999-3mdk.i586.rpm
sfio-devel-1999-3mdk.i586.rpm
sendmail-8.11.3-1mdk.i586.rpm
MySQL-3.23.41-5mdk.i586.rpm
MySQL-client-3.23.41-5mdk.i586.rpm
MySQL-devel-3.23.41-5mdk.i586.rpm
MySQL-shared-3.23.41-5mdk.i586.rpm
MySQL-bench-3.23.41-5mdk.i586.rpm

I had to install the following Perl modules from CPAN:

DBI 1.18
Storable-1.0.11
Apache::Session 1.53
DBIx::DataSource 0.02
DBIx::SearchBuilder 0.43
File::Temp
FreezeThaw
Getopt::Long 2.24
MLDBM
HTML::Mason 0.896
Params::Validate 0.02
Text::Template
Text::Wrapper
Tie::IxHash
CGI::Cookie 1.20
Log::Dispatch 1.6  (the 'make test' is broken, but it seems to be okay)
DBD::mysql 2.0416  (install the MySQL drivers only...it will prompt you)
ApacheDBI-0.88     (I don't think this one was listed in the docs?)

...the following had to be done to get MySQL up and running:

/usr/bin/mysql_install_db
/usr/bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &

...note that I'm *not* a database guy, and I didn't do anything to
set MySQL passwords or anything like that...I punt that stuff off to
another guy.

Other than these things, I pretty much followed the RT installation
instructions.

Here is what I had to do in order to get Mandrake's convoluted Apache
configuration to work (although in retrospect, I would probably have
just reinstalled Apache from scratch as someone suggested earlier...
it would have been far less hassle to figure out):

In /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf add this one line:

ProxyPass /rt2/ http://localhost:8200/rt2/

...then in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd-perl.conf (modify paths and
IP addresses as appropriate):

# Begin - RT stuff
#
<VirtualHost 192.168.1.15>
 DocumentRoot /home/rt2/WebRT/html
 ServerName mondev
 PerlModule Apache::DBI
 PerlFreshRestart On
 PerlRequire /home/rt2/bin/webmux.pl
 <Location />
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler RT::Mason
 </Location>
</VirtualHost>

Alias /rt2/ /home/rt2/WebRT/html/

...and finally, I had to chmod the /home/rt2/log directory
so that the apache user could write to it.  A reminder for
anyone new to working with web servers...always, always, always
be running a 'tail -f' on your web server error log...you
are doomed to confusion otherwise :-)

Sorry this is so chaotic, but hopefully something here will
be helpful.  I'm going to be doing an RT install on a Redhat 7.2
machine soon, so we'll see if that goes any smoother.

Steve Gilbert
80/20 Software Tools