[rt-users] Upgrade Your Postgresql!

Michael Huttinger huttinger at ipact.com
Tue Oct 2 08:26:50 EDT 2001

Hello Everyone,

I am posting this to let you all know about a problem I was having and the
solution.

Problem:

Running 2.0.8pre3 (from CVS) or 2.0.7 of RT, using Postgresql (7.0 series),
and are having problems with a bug submitted not showing up in the user's
home page top 25 requested list.

As a side note, whenever I add the requestor to a query, I get NO results,
even if I can see in the list the requestor I want.  For example, I select
to see all new items in a queue.  Looking at the list, a choose a requestor
from the Requestor(s) column and add an additional query for it (using
either is or contains).  I no longer get anything :(

Solution:

After some log scans and responses w/ Jesse, came to the conclusion this was
due to the handling of outer joins in the SQL passed to Postgresql.  By
upgrading to the 7.1 series of Postgresql (7.1.3 actually), the problem went
away (7.1 has changed the way it handles the syntax for outer joins).

So, if you're running postgres prior to 7.1, I would recommend an upgrade :)

Enjoy!

Michael Huttinger
Computer Engineer
IPACT