AW: [rt-users] Update 1.0.7 to 2.0.9

Rich West Rich.West at wesmo.com
Tue Oct 30 09:50:33 EST 2001

Well, I can toss in my recent experiences since I finally got this
particular client to upgrade.

Upgrading the DB was, more-or-less, a piece of cake.  The upgrade script
worked like a charm, but, keep in mind, this is time consumuing.  I was
dealing with a relatively small database (2000 tickets) and it took
perhaps 15 minutes (sheer guess.. I don't honestly remember, but it
wasn't instantaneously).

Configuring the web server was the real key.  The Solaris server here
really objected to having mod_perl compiled in (I still have yet to
figure out why).  I opt'ed to go with the FastCGI implementation for
three reasons: (1) smaller apache binary, (2) easily compiled as a DSO,
and (3) it worked. :)

Finally, you have to remember that RT has a new method of group and user
permissions.  You _must_ go through the configuration pages (I still get
lost in there) to confirm both the group permissions for each queue as
well as the individual user permissions.  For some reason, with this
client, all of the RT "users" got lumped into the "AdminCC" group, which
seemed kind of silly.  *shrug*.

Oh, yes, and you have to remember to set up your "Scrips" on each of the
queues.  If you want the requestor to get an autoreply upon creation of
the ticket, then this step is a must.

All-in-all, the upgrade was smooth.  However, what I am trying to
impress upon you is to appropriately schedule DOWNTIME in order to do
this migration.  I personally went through the extra effort of figuring
out just how to install and configure RT2 on the same machine that RT1
was running on without killing the RT1 installation.  That way, I could
easily upgrade the database, update the apache httpd.conf file, and
restart the server and reduce the overall downtime..

-Rich