[rt-users] Global Group Rights: first entry always selected?

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Sat Sep 29 15:42:30 EDT 2001

I checked out the W3C Recommendation..  RT isn't currently doing the
right thing. It will fixed.

17.6.1 Pre-selected options

          Zero or more choices may be pre-selected for the user. User agents should determine which choices are pre-selected as follows:

If no OPTION element has the selected attribute set, user agent behavior for choosing which option is initially selected is undefined. Note. Since existing implementations handle this case differently, the current specification differs from RFC 1866 ([RFC1866] section 8.1.3), which states:

      The initial state has the first option selected, unless a
	SELECTED attribute is present on any of the <OPTION> elements.

Since user agent behavior differs, authors should ensure that each menu
includes a default pre-selected OPTION.