[rt-users] Re: watchers

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Wed Apr 3 07:04:44 EST 2002

On Mar 22 Brian May wrote:

> oops, sorry about my reply to my question...
>
> > Also, I am trying to work out what the scripts do. Most of them
> > seem to be obvious, but ones like "NotifyOtherRecipientsAsComment"
> > aren't. What is an "Other Recipient"? How does this defer
> > from "NotifyOtherRecipients?".
>
> This question still stands.

There is correspondence and there are comments.  They are distinct so
that you can do distinct things with them.  The difference is what you
make of it.  The idea is that you'd do something like the following:

  * Correspondence gets circulated to everybody; comments are between
    your people dealing with a ticket, but don't get sent to the person
    who requested a ticket.

  * The permissions are set such that Requestors can view correspondence
    but not comments; your people can view anything (well, possibly just
    anything in a particular queue, or just anything about tickets they
    are working on -- it's up to you).

  * Correspondence and comments are sent out using distinct templates,
    so that it is clear to recipients which they are receiving.

  * You have separate e-mail addresses for correspondence and comments,
    so that 'RT' can distinguish the two from incoming e-mails.

If you use a Notify...AsComment action then the recipient gets an e-mail
from the comment e-mail address.  (If that didn't happen and comments
were sent out with the correspondence address, then somebody replying to
a comment would be sending correspondence and the Requestor might see
things they weren't supposed to.)

Regarding OtherRecipients, that's something fairly new to 'RT'.  See
Jess's announcement of version 2.0.12, and search the mail archives in
March for "OtherRecipients".

> > Oh, can you please send CCs to me, so I dont accidently miss
> > any replies. Thanks.

Yes.  There also seems to be a time-lag here.  Your mail was dated March
22nd, but seems to have got stick at pallas.eruditorum.org for a week or
so (then cos of Easter weekend, I've only just got to it today).  I've
checked the archives, but didn't see any other responses to this.

Smylers
--
GBdirect
http://www.gbdirect.co.uk/