[rt-users] Customization Advice

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Mon Apr 8 04:32:56 EDT 2002

On Saturday Bruce Campbell wrote:

> On Fri, 22 Mar 2002, Smylers wrote:
>
> ( sheesh, has it been that long since I've been in the office? )

Looks like it -- you've certainly been conspicuous in your absence from
this list.  Hope you've been enjoying yourself.

> > > Most of the contributed ScripConditions/ScripActions are supplied with an
> > > 'insert' script ...
> >
> > I'd had a look at these but found them very scary.  For example,
> > AutoAssign.pm.insertdata appears to run in package RT (as used by
> > RT.pm), then looks to be creating users and groups (that I'd expect
> > already to exist), then creates ScripActions (but all of them, the
> > existing ones plus the new ones), and the same for ScripConditions.  Is
> > that right?
>
> Not really.  Most of the insert scripts don't create extra rt users or
> groups, and simply ask for the next id-number in the
> Scrip{Action,Condition} table to be assigned.  It doesn't re-create
> existing Scrip components.

Ah, I think I was just unlucky in my choice of where to steal from.
AutoAssign.pm.insert data is not inconsiderably complicated (and still
looks to me to be creating superfluous things).
OwnerChange/insert_condition.pl is a fraction of the size and makes
sense.

> > > If you shifted the standard RT::Action::SendEmail elsewhere and created
> > > your own RT::Action::SendEmail to override SetSubject (etc), and then
> > > include RT::Action::SendEmail_Install, you'd be laughing.
> >
> > That involves having to rename SendEmail.pm as SendEmail_Install.pm
> > every time we do an upgrade.

I did eventually get round to implementing it in a way which just
overrides a single sub of RT::Action::SendEmail and doesn't require any
renaming:

  http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-March/007420.html

> A future innovation (currently in devel) with RT is the possibility of
> RT-code-as-distributed and RT-code-for-local-override at the
> RT::Library level.

Sounds good.

> Have a look at some mails from Jesse last month on rt-devel for more
> information.

Ta.  (I get a distinct feeling that I ought to be subscribed to that
list too anyway.  I get another feeling that my boss won't want me
spending any more work time on lists and I'll have to subscribe from
home ...)

> Note that as with any customisation of a public tool, you will need to
> be careful that your modifications continue to work as intended after
> you upgrade the base system.

Of course.  But keeping the change as small as possible minimizes the
chance that that area will have changed differently in the upgrade,
hence my desire just to override one sub.

Good to see you back.

Smylers
--
GBdirect