[rt-users] RT to go? Dependency graphs?

Johan Ihren johani at autonomica.se
Mon Apr 15 14:27:38 EDT 2002

Matt Disney <matthew.disney at fedex.com> writes:

Matt,

> I've got nothing on number 1.

Fair enough. If I get around to it I promise to let you all know
exactly how bad idea it was ;-)

> For number 2, however, you may be interested in looking at the DTRT
> stuff in the contrib/rt-addons area. More specifically:
> http://www.fsck.com/pub/rt/contrib/2.0/rt-addons/DTRT .  This is some
> work Jesse has done on a project management interface/extension to
> RT2.  Although it's not exactly what you're looking for, I've used it

Aha, great. I didn't notice that one.

> as a great starting point to build an interface that lists all the
> requests in a queue that are of "type" 'project' (as opposed to
> 'ticket') and then show the children of each of those 'project'
> requests. Jesse already has the part done to display one at a time, I
> just had to modify it a little bit to get exactly what I want.
>
> However, there isn't any act-or-restrict-based-on-dependency
> functionality in RT2.0, as far as I know. So, you may be able to view
> your dependencies for a ticket in hierarchical fashion, but without
> extending RT2.0 you won't be able to say "don't resolve a ticket
> dependent on another unless the depended-upon ticket is also resolved"
> or anything like that. But, if your group is relatively good at
> following business rules, that may not be an issue.

It isn't, but I agree that is an important concern to be aware of.

> Jesse has said that RT2.2 will have some workflow enhancements.  It may
> be that RT2.2 will have exactly what you're looking for, but I'm not
> sure about that.

> Let me know if any of this doesn't make sense or if you would like
> additional information on my experiences playing around with DTRT and
> so forth. And my apologies in advance if I've misrepresented anyone or
> anything in this email. :-)

I found zero documentation on DTRT (in fact, the only thing I found
was other people asking for help with installation). So any
information on how you set it up would be very much appreciated.

Regards,

Johan Ihrén
Autonomica