[rt-users] RT to go? Dependency graphs?

Johan Ihren johani at autonomica.se
Tue Apr 16 02:35:54 EDT 2002

"Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH" <allbery at ece.cmu.edu> writes:

> [...]

Thanks to everyone for all your comments. It seems that the general
consensus is that I'm somewhere between bonkers and a hard place...;-)

However, most of the replies are based upon the assumtion that I will
make updates to the replica while offline. As soon as that happens
everything get way more complicated and I agree with all of you.

While that would be nice (and likely an unsolvable problem in the
general case, since automatic conflict resolution is impossible), I
explicitly said that I'm willing to restrict myself to only read-only
access while disconnected.

I.e. what I need is to have my replica get up to date on what is the
present status of all subprojects, tasks, customer tickets, etc, so
that I can browse this while disconnected.

Look at it like my personal email archive: I have my entire email
baggage with me in my laptop too, all "incoming" that I haven't
deleted and all "outgoing" for more years than I care to remember.
The reason I carry that around is that, from time to time, I need to
browse it to find out what actually was said. Not necessarily to
immediately reopen old email conversations all the time (although that
happen too, of course).

Read-only access while disconnected is ok, since what I need is access
to the ticketing system for reference, to catch up on status and
recent comments, not primarily to immediately respond to customer
tickets (and thereby changing the state of the db). What I want is the

        "state of the company" tool,

*including* dependencies, and this actually seemed like a rather
simple way of achieving that. And the dependencies is another reason
that I don't see export of tables into Excel as a solution here.

I agree that the fully fledged, disconnected mode ticketing system
with automatic resynchronization and conflict ressolution would be
very nice, but that is not really needed and not what I'm looking for
here.

Regards,

Johan Ihrén
Autonomica