[rt-users] ParseNewMessageForTicketCcs and IsRTAddress()

Phil Homewood pdh at snapgear.com
Mon Apr 22 23:45:34 EDT 2002

Phil Homewood wrote:
> What I'm wondering is... is the big warning about not updating
> IsRTAddress really still relevant? Surely if you send a message
> to RT CC'ed to another RT address, any correspondence back out
> from RT will have the X-RT-Loop-Prevention header in place, in
> which case RT::Email::CheckForLoops() should squelch any reply
> bombs?

OK, don't blame me if this drags your mailserver down screaming,
but a quick test seems to bear out my suspicions. The bounce/loop
detector kicks in and sends a copy of the correspondence to
$OwnerEmail. (This is with $LoopsToRTOwner = 1; changing that may
cause different behaviour.) So as long as you're not setting
$OwnerEmail to an RT address, doing this shouldn't burn you too
badly.

Note, if you want to avoid the bounce notifications entirely, you
still need to hack up IsRTAddress(). This should result in the
RT address never being added as watcher, so no email goes to it
and no bounce detection ever occurs.

The big warning comment apparently comes from the days before the
bounce squelcher was functional.

Thanks to Jesse for confirming this.  (Hint, folks: you get a quick
turnaround if you shower him with gifts and/or money. :-)