[rt-users] Bug? Cc recipients seperated with semicolon

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Thu Apr 25 12:26:47 EDT 2002

On Thu, 25 Apr 2002, Rehan van der Merwe wrote:

> I noticed that when cc'ing people, multiple recipients have to be
> separated by commas.  The recipients don't receive the mail at all if
> they are separated by semicolons as is the Windows custom.

The simple answer is 'Microsoft, as usual, is incorrect'. ;)

Section 3.4 of RFC2822 has the nitty-gritty, but the summary is:

	The ';' character is a seperator within the 'group' definition.

	An 'Address' may be either a 'group' or a 'mailbox'.

	Multiple 'Address'es are seperated by the ',' character.

( ie, A ';' may appear within one component of an Address, but the ','
  must be used to seperate multiple Addresses )

> Is their a fix for this other than to get the users to use commas?

My personal opinion is that you should not patch code to encourage bad
(invalid) practices.  RT::Action::SendEmail is where you should be looking
(find the joins, backtrack and rewrite ';' as ',').

Regards,

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B                      Operations