[rt-users] Q: mailloops w/ rt-2.0.13

Chris J. Mutter cjm at terminal.sil.at
Tue Aug 6 08:02:18 EDT 2002

hi bruce, others,

> > > we get a mail loops when some spam-idiots send mail of the form
> > >
> > > From: bla at sil.at
> > > To:   bla at sil.at
> > >
> > > where bla at sil.at is a forward to the tracker into the queue ``bla''.
> >
> > The bounce-detection should take care of this. Can you ensure
> > that the X-RT-Loop-Prevention header is present and correct in

jup. the header is present and correct.

> Preservation of loop detection headers cannot always be counted upon,
> although it makes loop detection _much_ easier.

seems so. so how cold i fix this problem? we get almost once a day spam
with forged headers and its not so easy to restrict it via SMTP cause
some users of rt also send themselves mails out with a role-acount's
email address. we investigated the problem and found that the mail loop
stops when we take out the ``requestor'' as ``watcher'' on those tickets..
but it takes some while to find out what is the _corrupt_ ticket.

i think the problem is somewhere with the ``notify_all_watchers'' function
of rt2 ... (as far as i know a requestor is also a watcher - but there
should be a check within rt2 to prevent a loop here, or?)

later,
cjm
--
cjm at sil.at, cjm at enemy.org, neo at bsdger.org   www.sil.at | www.enemy.org