[rt-users] Bug in email addresses parser? (Was: Still puzzled by user's rights [EUreg #2655]

Smylers smylers at gbdirect.co.uk
Tue Aug 6 10:02:58 EDT 2002

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

> For instance, this message was registered by RT:
>
> Subject: RE: [ecdiscuss] organization of eu-registry
> From: Joe Baptista <baptista at dot-god.com>
> To: Patrizio Menchetti <patrizio.menchetti at menchlaw.com>
> Cc: <ecdiscuss at ec-pop.org>
> Date: Thu, 1 Aug 2002 07:43:15 -0400 (EDT)
>
> while this one was not:
>
> Subject: Re: [ecdiscuss] [marine.chantreau at nic.fr: A washingtonpost.com article from: marine.chantreau at nic.fr]
> From: "Patrizio Menchetti" <patrizio.menchetti at menchlaw.com>
> To: ecdiscuss at ec-pop.org
> Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 13:20:38 +0200
>
> I can only assume that the second syntax (with the quotes) for the
> From: address, while perfectly legal, was not recognized by RT.

If a message has a Reply-To: header then its contents are used for
identification purposes instead of the From: header.  So in the second
message's case there's just an e-mail address without a friendly name.
But 'RT' should still recognize that, and round here it definitely does
-- we have hundreds of such messages which have successfully entered our
queues.

Smylers
--
GBdirect