[rt-users] Re: Apache authentication, then RT authentication?

Dave Ewart Dave.Ewart at cancer.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 04:52:44 EDT 2002

On Friday, 09.08.2002 at 11:33 -0700, Gretchen K. Wagner wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Aug 2002, Gretchen K. Wagner wrote:
>
> > Ideas, anyone?  Perhaps I'm setting $WebExternalAuth improperly
> > (couldn't find any relevent documentation or useful examples in
> > mailing list archives).
>
> After toying about with the WebExternalAuth setting (pointing it to
> differing PAM libraries), I now get passed/logged directly into RT,
> but then I get "You are not an authorized user" for any function, and
> "logout" is now missing.

Why are you "pointing it to PAM libraries" etc.?  I thought the idea was
that if WebExternalAuth is defined (i.e. ANYTHING other than 'undef')
then the RT environment will use the value of REMOTE_USER as its
authenticated user.  The actual _value_ of $WebExternalAuth is ignored,
as far as I can tell.  The code in WebRT/html/autohandler would seem to
support this.

What I don't understand is why the browser authentication is not also
logging me into RT!

Anyone shed any more light on this?

Dave.
--
Dave Ewart
Dave.Ewart at cancer.org.uk
Computing Manager, Epidemiology Unit, Oxford
Cancer Research UK
PGP: CC70 1883 BD92 E665 B840 118B 6E94 2CFD 694D E370