[rt-users] Speed Issues?

Benjamin Reed ben at oculan.com
Tue Aug 13 08:44:08 EDT 2002

Mike Barrett [mike at daboyz.org] wrote:
> Whenever someone goes to look at a specific ticket however, it seems to take
> on average about 1-4 seconds for the page to be displayed.  During this time
> I notice that my CPU usage goes to 100%.
>
> I'm wondering if postgres is the culprit here, but thats just a guess.  Has
> anyone used RT with the latest postgres?

I can't say it's true for every system, but in our case, PostgreSQL was
*definitely* the culprit.  We're pretty much an all-postgresql shop here,
so we installed RT on postgresql.

Since then, we've had nothing but trouble, the speed is abysmal, with a
database of 10 or 20,000 tickets it would literally take 10 seconds to go
from the summary page into a queue list!

We've since switched to MySQL for RT and got a new lease on our ticketing
system (we'd actually started research other, ugh, commercial, offerings to
replace it, it was so slow).

Normally I'm a big psql booster, but one of it's biggest failings is in the
handling of large text columns, which RT's database is, primarily.  I would
suggest switching to mysql if you want any reasonable performance.  No
guarantees it'll fix your issue, but it definitely did for us.  =)

--
Ben Reed (ben at oculan.com)
http://www.oculan.com/