[rt-users] WebExternalAuth performance

Neil Bingham neil.bingham at pace.co.uk
Tue Aug 20 04:45:01 EDT 2002

Christian Gilmore wrote:
> You'll want to use a caching mechanism around your external auth
> mechanism. For instance, I use a combination of Apache::AuthenCache
> with Apache::AuthenLDAP.

I see from the net that you wrote Apache::AuthenLDAP.  I'm actually doing
LDAP auth, but we are using an Exchange 5.5 server to retrieve the data, and
mod_auth_ldap couldn't talk to it.  In the end we resorted to
mod_auth_external and wrote a script around Net::LDAP to do it.

As our LDAP server is 170 miles away up a frame relay link the overhead of
invoking mod_auth_external and then doing the lookup is what causes our
delay.

I'll investigate later...

Thanks,

Neil.

--
Neil Bingham, Software Team Leader, Engineering Tools Group.
Pace Micro Technology plc                   Tel: +44 (0) 1223 518574