[rt-users] RT2 Speed/performance problems.

Dave Rolsky autarch at urth.org
Tue Aug 20 11:51:28 EDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Maren S. Leizaola wrote:

> Well I've optimized the tables when stuff has been deleted but other than
> that I am using mysql default installation. A totally dedicated machine.

The default mysql config uses very little memory and doesn't take
advantage of multiple processors as well as it could.  Actually tuning
MySQL can have a big impact.

I'd also recommend to anyone that they either use Mason 1.05 or 1.1201,
but not 1.10 or 1.11.  1.12 is also fine except it doesn't work with Perl
5.00503.  The 1.10 and 1.11 releases have memory leaks that can suck up
some decent memory, so up- or down-grading is definitely recommended.  If
you're not using Mason for other development, there's little reason to
upgrade from 1.05 for those currently using . 1.12 does offer a lot of
cool new features, but it's also slower.

Of course, the chances that Mason was the bottleneck in Maren's case are
very small, since RT is most likely going to be DBMS-bound once more than
a small number of tickets have been created.

-dave

www.urth.org
we await the New Sun