[rt-users] RT2 Speed/performance problems.

Roderick A. Anderson raanders at acm.org
Tue Aug 20 13:39:20 EDT 2002

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Dave Rolsky wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Maren S. Leizaola wrote:
>
> > 	Maybe I am picky our just a lazy admin, but I believe that decent
> > system sould be maintainable, should be able install them in a snap,
> > reconfigure them, see what it is doing. You should be able to rebuild in
> > under one hour or less from nothing to live.
>
> It sounds like you're lazy.  Despite what Larry Wall says, it isn't
> _always_ a virtue.

Well I am lazy and just installed RT a couple of weeks ago.  The system I
installed on was a mostly out of the box RHL 7.3.  Hardware-wise an
AMD(K-6) 3D/350 MHz with 128 MByte RAM and a 8 GByte IDE drive.
   Installed from the tarball and didn't use the CPAN module.  Getting all
the perl modules was ... fun and time consuming but not that difficult.
So fare being lazy can work.

This is a very lightly loaded RT system so I can't say too much about how
it will perform later but it is also the name server for several thousand
accounts/computers, runs Apache and PostgreSQL and I haven't had any
complaints about speed.  (One small snafu with a name server entry
yesterday caused it to not work at all - the guilty will remain nameless -
but I fixed that.  :-)

Oh I did make the changes in httpd.conf for the number of processes
suggested a few days ago on the list.

I also just checked the system watching with top set to 1 second refresh
and saw the httpd and postmaster jump to 45%+ of the cpu for < 3 seconds
which doesn't surprise me since they both are running stock.

I like RT.
Rod