[rt-users] RT2 Speed/performance problems.

Michael K. Brown michael.k.brown at alcatel.com
Wed Aug 21 10:15:30 EDT 2002

As a Non-IT person running a webserver with RT and PostNuke, I thought I'd
wade into the discussion:

First: I'm not a programmer, sys-admin, or have EVER had formal IT training.
I'm an advanced computer USER who happens to be a lab technician with an
interest in computers.

Second: I set up a webserver to support my lab users and environment.  I
loaded a Dual Ultra-II (UltraSparc) with 512MB of RAM and a 4GB hard disk
with Solaris 8, manually added the packages for GNU tools, PERL 5.6.1, and
then used ApacheToolbox to help with installing Apache, MySQL, and all the
required packages.  It all still required tweaking to get it all running
properly with Solaris.  All of my Unix/PERL/PHP/MySQL skills are self
taught, with a lot of help from google.ca and people on mailing lists like
this one.

Third: I installed RT (and I did fight with it to get all the dependancies
working), but I thought it was worth it, because RT2 was the best that I had
seen out there, and because this list was active and people were very
helpful in doing mods and fixes.

Fourth: I modified RT2 and PostNuke to get them to do what I want them to
do.  My RT pages load in 2 seconds typically, and my PostNuke pages load in
3-5.  I'm still tweaking both systems as I learn new things from the people
on this list and on PostNuke.com.    What I've learned over my years of
being a computer user is that nothing is ever perfect out-of-the-box, and
you only get out of it what you put into it.  RT and PostNuke are both very
extensible, well-designed systems, and I think that you can get a lot from
those systems if you're willing to put some time into them!  My $0.02
worth... (before taxes!)

Lastly, I would like to thank all the RT-User's Listers for all their
assistance, especially Rich Lafferty, Phil Homewood, Michael Grubb, Mike
Quitero, Smylers, Bruce Campbell and Paul Rossman (and anyone else who's
helped me out in the past that I might have missed!)

/Mike
Lab Services
Alcatel BND