[rt-users] Tarball to .deb conversion

seph seph at commerceflow.com
Wed Aug 21 15:43:42 EDT 2002

> Has anyone converted from using the "from tarball" RT to the Debianized
> RT package? If so, could you share any gotchas you found along the way,
> since I'm considering doing that in the future.

are you asking about going from tarball of rt to a deb package, for
use on a debian system? I don't have any experience with it, but that
seems like a bad idea for several reasons.

  1) jesse has a debian package for rt already. (it's for rt version
     2.0.13, and is in unstable and testing. If you try it, make sure
     you're getting jesse's package and not the older one)

  2) rt is distributed as source, and the build/install process does a
     variety of stuff. You'd have to download the source; build;
     install to a temp directory; tar the temp directory; and convert
     that tar to a deb. even so, you're deb would lack the various
     scripts that get run on make install (stuff like setting up the
     database)

Or are you asking about going from the rt deb, to a tarball for
installation on other systems? I'd avoid that as you'd lose
dependencies, and again, all those scripts.

seph