[rt-users] Tarball to .deb conversion

seph seph at commerceflow.com
Wed Aug 21 17:03:21 EDT 2002

> we have RT installed from Jesse's tarball.
>
> We'd like to migrate to having RT installed from Jesse's .deb package.[1]

ah, that makes much more sense. At some point, I expect I'll want to
do that. So I'm certainly curious about how it goes :)

> There are (always) various subtle differences in where "the .deb" wants
> stuff as opposed to where the default tarball install would have put it.
> THOSE are the kind of things I'm looking for.

assuming all your customisations are in the config file, or the local
part of the install directory, I don't think the difference between
the 2 is important. When I make the switch, I'm planning on backing up
the old rt install (installed from source), rm'ing it, installing the
package, and coping my configs back into place. I expect the locations
will change to /etc/rt, but it should be easy enough to check with
dpkg -L.

good luck, and tell us how it goes

seph