[rt-users] mon and rt

Mark D. Nagel mnagel at willingminds.com
Wed Aug 21 23:56:11 EDT 2002

For mon, the following environment variables are available to alerts:

        $ENV{"MON_LAST_SUMMARY"}        = $sref->{"_last_summary"};
        $ENV{"MON_LAST_OUTPUT"}         = $sref->{"_last_output"};
        $ENV{"MON_LAST_FAILURE"}        = $sref->{"_last_failure"};
        $ENV{"MON_FIRST_FAILURE"}       = $sref->{"_first_failure"};
        $ENV{"MON_LAST_SUCCESS"}        = $sref->{"_last_success"};
        $ENV{"MON_DESCRIPTION"}         = $sref->{"description"};
        $ENV{"MON_GROUP"}               = $args{"group"};
        $ENV{"MON_SERVICE"}             = $args{"service"};
        $ENV{"MON_RETVAL"}              = $args{"retval"};
        $ENV{"MON_OPSTATUS"}            = $sref->{"_op_status"};
        $ENV{"MON_ALERTTYPE"}           = $alert_type;
        $ENV{"MON_STATEDIR"}            = $CF{"STATEDIR"};
        $ENV{"MON_LOGDIR"}              = $CF{"LOGDIR"};

It should be possible to write an alert script that constructs a unique
"event id" using some combination of MON_FIRST_FAILURE, MON_GROUP,
MON_SERVICE and the issuing system hostname or IP address.  If mailgate or
enhanced mailgate could extract this ID and within RT internally bind it to
the issued ticket number, then it should be possible to track multiple
alerts for one event within a single ticket.  The algorithm would be
esentially:

        select ticketID from newTable where uniqueID = $thisUniqueID
        if ($ticketID)
            inject new content into existing ticket
        else
            create new ticket as usual

Using MON_ALERTTYPE, it could be possible to automatically close the ticket,
but might be better to leave it open until manually investigated and closed.

I'm fairly new to RT internals -- how hard would it be to add this uniqueID
binding?  I'm thinking it would be a completely separate table, but the
uniqueID field could also be added to the Tickets table.  This method should
work for any monitoring system where a unique string could be generated that
is tied to the lifetime of an event.

Mark