[rt-users] Self-Service and unprivileged users (only have email address)

Forrest Stanley fstanley at netburner.com
Fri Dec 6 13:49:50 EST 2002

At 10:19 AM 12/6/2002 -0800, Travis Zadikem wrote:

>What password does an unprivileged user use?  I ask this because I have
>users that email rt and then it adds them as a new user automatically with
>their email address as the username.  But, when the user goes to
>webaddress/SelfService and tries to login using their email address and no
>password it won't let them in.  How can I fix this so it will?

Hi,
RT users automatically created through email submission are not assigned a
password. Their user account is created with password set to undef. You can
change by modifying the following:

lib/RT/Interface/Email.pm

         my ($Val, $Message) =
                         $NewUser->Create(Name => ($Username || $Address),
                         EmailAddress => $Address,
                         RealName => "$Name",
                         Password => undef,
                         Privileged => 0,
                         Comments => 'Autocreated on ticket submission'
                 );

Changed password to whatever you like. Also, Jesse posted a way to create
random passwords a couple weeks ago.

http://lists.fsck.com/pipermail/rt-users/2002-November/010705.html

-FS