[rt-users] Multiple TAGs?

Rich Lafferty rich+rt at lafferty.ca
Mon Dec 9 10:29:27 EST 2002

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 02:07:19PM +0100, Nils Ketelsen <nils.ketelsen at kuehne-nagel.com> wrote:
> At 12:55 09.12.2002 +0000, Andy Coates wrote:
>

> >I was hoping you could change the tag on a dynamic basis, e.g. for queue
> >FOO it would be [FOO #xxx], or queue BAR would be [BAR #xxx].  To set
> >such a tag, an extra field could be stored within the Queue properties,
> >and so on.
> >
> >Has this already been attempted?  Or is there a flaw which won't let you
> >make such mods?
>
> Thats a bad Idea, because when you changed a Ticket from Queue A to
> Queue B the user couldn't send an answer to his initial E-Mail
> anymore. If the Queue-Name is in the subject the requestor has to
> know which Queue the request currently is in.

RT's smarter than that. Right now, if you send mail to the email
address for QueueA but have a ticket number that belongs to a
ticket in QueueB, it'd do the right thing.

But that means that once you have a ticket number, the queue doesn't
matter at all -- and *anything* that has a [rtname #foo] will have
a ticket number, so that essentially reduces "have queue names in
rtname" to "have more than one rtname".

There's nothing wrong with having more than one rtname (although
you'd have to change the code to do it); all that matters is that
your rtnames are unique within the set of RT installations that
you will send mail to, and that will send you mail.

With the uniqueness criterion satisfied it's a Simple Matter of
Programming to have RT accept and generate a set of tags.

> Additionally the tags wouldn't be unique anymore (how many "general"
> queues are out there?).

cf. "How many people set their rtname to 'helpdesk' or 'ticket'?" :-)

(Mine's "TT", for backwards compatibility with the system RT
replaced. But if I'd made it "e-smith.com", it'd now have to be,
hrm, "nssg.mitel.com", in case mitel.com had another RT in a
different department. Getting long! Glad I used "TT". :-)

  -Rich

--
 Ottawa, Ontario, Canada    |  Save the Pacific Northwest Tree Octopus!