[rt-users] RT2 installation woes

Owen B. Mehegan omehegan at perseus.com
Wed Dec 18 12:41:12 EST 2002

It's that time again; time for me to hurl myself bodily at the (for me)
hell that is installing RT. I don't know why I'm having so many issues
with this; it seems that most of the posters here are asking about
problems they have after setup, not just getting the package installed.
I have been dutifully following the installation instructions on
http://www.fsck.com/rtfm

MySQL is running. I've set a root password for it, "kermit" for testing
purposes. I can do mysqladmin -p status and it will prompt me for a
password and then show the status of the running daemon. RT's
dependencies are all satisfied according to make testdeps. Now I run
make install.

The first thing I notice is then when it gets here:

Writing /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/auto/RT/.packlist
Appending installation info to /usr/local/lib/perl/5.6.1/perllocal.pod
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/local/src/rt-2-0-15/lib'

the install seems to pause. Trial and error has taught me that at this
point the install script is asking for the mysql root password. Anyone
know why I can't see this prompt? Once I enter the password and hit
enter, the Makefile seems to complete. "Creating mysql database rt2" it
says, then stops. Am I correct in assuming that it is now finished?

I go on to customize the config.pm file. Then I add the following lines
to my httpd.conf:

Alias /rt2 /usr/local/rt2/WebRT/html
PerlRequire /usr/local/rt2/bin/webmux.pl
<Location /rt2>
  SetHandler perl-script
  PerlHandler RT::Mason
</Location>

I go to start up my httpd, and lo and behold:

[Tue Dec 17 23:44:18 2002] [error] Can't locate
/usr/local/rt2/bin/webmux.pl at (eval 2) line 1.

Syntax error on line 951 of /usr/local/apache/conf/httpd.conf:
Can't locate /usr/local/rt2/bin/webmux.pl at (eval 2) line 1.

/usr/local/apache/bin/apachectl start: httpd could not be started

Of course it can't be found because /usr/local/rt2/bin is in fact,
empty. webmux.pl only exists in /usr/local/src/rt-2-0-15/bin

So, does the absence of webmux.pl in the /usr/local/rt2/bin mean that
the install didn't actually work? Does it mean that I didn't set up my
Makefile correctly? Or is there something more sinister at work here?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Humbly,

--Owen, RT N00b who refuses to give up