[rt-users] mod_perl compiled into apache.

darren chamberlain darren at boston.com
Mon Dec 23 08:59:57 EST 2002

* Bobby Wrenn <bjwrenn at augustmail.com> [2002-12-20 15:43]:
> I'm not sure what the doc means by "apache must be compiled with
> mod_perl. mod_perl should not be compiled as a DSO".
>
> What is a DSO?

<http://httpd.apache.org/docs/dso.html>:

  On modern Unix derivatives there exists a nifty mechanism usually called
  dynamic linking/loading of Dynamic Shared Objects (DSO) which provides a
  way to build a piece of program code in a special format for loading it
  at run-time into the address space of an executable program.

Under Apache, this lets you use LoadModule to pull in modules when you
start your httpd.

> I loaded apache-mod_perl loaded when I insalled Mandrake 9.0. But, if I
> run:
> httpd -l
> I get
>
> Compiled-in modules:
>   http_core.c
>   mod_so.c
    ^^^^^^^^

This module loads DSO's.

If you had mod_perl built statically ("apache compiled with mod_perl"),
you would see mod_perl.c on that list, like:

$ ./httpd -l
Compiled-in modules:
  http_core.c
  mod_perl.c
  mod_so.c

(darren)

--
Responsible behavior is the result of a socialization process.