[rt-users] Merging users?

Espen Wiborg espenhw+rt-users at empolis.no
Tue Dec 3 03:35:47 EST 2002

Lynoure Rajamäki <lynoure at otaverkko.fi> writes:
> On Tue, 2002-12-03 at 00:35, Sebastian Flothow wrote:
>> > Is there a way for merging the auto-created user
>> > hank.helpdesker at helpdeskers.com with the 'real' hank?
>> Maybe the address canonicalization (in the config file) does the
>> trick?
> I guess hank was a bad example. The typical pair of addresses used
> is nickname at domain and firstname.lastname at domain, so if I understood
> right, canonicalization would do the trick only if I'd know which
> addresses will and should be used and hardcode those into
> config.pm. I can think of no regular expression that would do the
> job

I have a situation (sort of) like this.  All users here have
username at domain as their canonical mail address, where username
usually equals firstname - but a few have a different username.  They
can also use firstname.lastname at domain.  What I do:

I wrote a short script to parse the passwd file into a hash mapping
firstname.lastname => username and firstname => username.  Address
canonicalization is then a simple matter of

$email =~ /^(.*)@(.*)$/;
$email = $userhash{$1} . '@' . $2;

(It's actually a bit more complicated, in order to fail gracefully if
the hash lookup fails).

> and anyway, canonicalization probably doesn't help at the point
> where you have multiple users of one person already.

AFAIK, there is no way to merge users - but you don't have to, you can
just reset the requestor (and owner) to be the canonical user.

--
Espen Wiborg <espenhw+rt-users at empolis.no>
The longest string of consecutive vowels in the English language