[rt-users] RT speed problem

Darren Nickerson darren at dazza.org
Thu Feb 7 13:27:34 EST 2002

  Tim> Hi, I have recently moved our RT system both onto a new machine and
  Tim> version and am currently experiencing massive speed problems with RT
  Tim> after the upgrade.

Tim,

RT's database schema changed/improved a lot from 2.0.1 -> 2.0.11, in
particular somewhere around 2.0.9 the indexes/indices were tuned to improve
performance. Since it's "very hard"(tm) to mess with the schema during the
upgrade process, RTs upgrades don't touch it.

That means when you were running 2.0.11 you had, for the most part, a 2.0.1
schema with 2.0.11 functionality. It can get very slow indeed. I grew hair
waiting for some of those queries to return results ;-)

The only workable solution I found was to export the data from RT, drop the
database and recreate it from the 2.0.11 schema script, and re-import the
data. There's several threads on this in the mailing list archives about
this. It's a destructive procedure, so make sure you've got good backups, just
in case.

Good luck!

-Darren