[rt-users] Queues?

Harald Wagener hwagener at hamburg.fcb.com
Wed Feb 13 06:23:57 EST 2002

Sam Johnston wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I've just finished setting up RT2 and am most impressed. I'm not sure
> how best to set up my queues though... I currently have a handful of
> clients I provide support for and have set up a queue for a couple of
> them Then I noticed in the documentation an example with 'Accounts',
> 'NOC', 'Support', and figured perhaps I'm on the wrong track? I can
> fairly reliably determine the client name from the domain name of the
> requestor, or better yet, the email address they sent it to (ie
> support at client1.com, support at client2.com, which each forward to
> different aliases on the RT machine running qmail), so perhaps using
> queues for them is overkill? Also there would ideally only be a small
> handful of open tickets on each client at any given time. Do people
> supporting multiple clients/sites use different queues for each? If not,
> what is used instead?

This is one of the great advantages of RT: Since most of the structural
elements of the system (queues, tickets, keywords, users) are pretty
generic, there is more than one way to do it(tm), perl fashion.

The most important thing is setting up a sound structure, which only
works if _You_ know what You need. For me, Queues are the semantically
biggest barrier between two types of tickets, and it´s up to Your
suppoprt structure if it's more important to divide tickets by client ot
by type of ticket (as You seem to aim).

There are some things that are not as generic or automatic as some
people sometimes wish they were, but when faced with a bill for
implementing, they most of the time get astoundingly quiet on that
matter (although I deem Jesse's pricing reasonable enough for services
on an otherwise open source royalty free generic tool). But as a matter
of fact, everything that is really needed in a request tracker will
eventually find it's way into RT.

H.

--
Harald Wagener      |                           Systemadministrator
FCB/Wilkens GmbH    |                         Tel.:+49-40-2881-1252