[rt-users] Looking for solutions.. Suggestions..

Rob Walker rob at myinternetplace.net
Thu Feb 14 17:34:59 EST 2002

On Thursday 14 February 2002 12:32, RT2 Troubles wrote:

> I keep hearing of people who have solutions I need to implement, but they
> haven't contirbuted it to the fsck guys because they are worried about
> scrutiny and mockery. Some of these people have contributed code to me
> directly and for the most part, it's excelent code and these guys really

I would love to try out some of this code.  If you can, please email them to
rob at myinternetplace.net

> - Assigning a higher priority to tickets that come from certain people
> so that we can handle VIP requests. I know most of you use a procmail filter
> that dumps these requests into a separate queue, which is a simple
> workaround, but too messy for my immediate interests.

Is the procmail filter what is too messy, or the separate queue?  If the queue
is what is too messy and you feel comfortable with procmail scripts, the
enhanced mailgate has the ability to set priority for you.  I bet you could
look at mailgate and enhanced mailgate and add the proper stuff to look at
the from and open the ticket with the proper priority.

> - Making a list of who is logged into the RT web pages and perhaps how long
> they have been idle.

Something which writes to an 'active' table with each click of a user, and
then someone could have a 'watch' box, whereby each of their own clicks could
show everyone but themselves, and how long it has been since that user last
clicked.  You might have to turn off the refresh options on the start page,
or you might find that people are alwyas never more than 5 minutes idle.

> This would be really handy when collaborating with multiple people on a
> specific task. I could also use it to tell me when it's safe to restart the
> server. Even better would be a calendar that lets us indicate who is
> scheduled to work and who is the primary point of contact at any given
> moment. We could add the "whoson" info to that calendar page and tie it all
> in together.

I think that this is a big job, bigger than the hack that I mentioned above.

> - A simple list-box style 'Stock Answers' that avoids the java popup window
> that the original version uses. Using a list-box should be simple but, like
> most things that are easier said than done, I get mason errors when I change
> anything.

I hear you.  That mason stuff is boggling my mind.  :-)

rob