[rt-users] Looking for solutions.. Suggestions..

RT2 Troubles rt2trouble at morben.ca
Thu Feb 14 18:12:14 EST 2002

> I would love to try out some of this code.  If you can, please email them
> to rob at myinternetplace.net

Each person gave me code with a similar disclaimer that it's for me to try
and "too messy" for contribution. I know it's hard to separate ego from
effort at times so I respect the decision of the developers. However, if you
reply to some of the people who mention they have found solutions, you will
get piles of code that is actually very usefull and should be public. I must
owe beer and postcards to half the people on this list. :)

> Is the procmail filter what is too messy, or the separate queue?  If the
> queue is what is too messy and you feel comfortable with procmail scripts,
> the enhanced mailgate has the ability to set priority for you.  I bet you
> could look at mailgate and enhanced mailgate and add the proper stuff to
> look at the from and open the ticket with the proper priority.

The separate Queue was the messy part, we already have a zillion queues and
adding another global queue that everyone has to sort through would not make
me popular. I'll take a look at the enhanced mailgate, I had no idea it was
capable of assigning priority to tickets.

> Something which writes to an 'active' table with each click of a user, and
> then someone could have a 'watch' box, whereby each of their own clicks
> could show everyone but themselves, and how long it has been since that
> user last clicked.  You might have to turn off the refresh options on the
> start page, or you might find that people are alwyas never more than 5
> minutes idle.

Or just make the auto-refresh action a condition that is passed to the script
so that it is ignored?

> > This would be really handy when collaborating with multiple people on a
> > specific task. I could also use it to tell me when it's safe to restart
> > the server. Even better would be a calendar that lets us indicate who is
> > scheduled to work and who is the primary point of contact at any given
> > moment. We could add the "whoson" info to that calendar page and tie it
> > all in together.
>
> I think that this is a big job, bigger than the hack that I mentioned
> above.

Yes the calendar would almost be a second project in my opinion. Though RT
already has lots of features some people don't need and it does nothing to
diminish it's popularity.

> > - A simple list-box style 'Stock Answers' that avoids the java popup
> > window that the original version uses. Using a list-box should be simple
> > but, like most things that are easier said than done, I get mason errors
> > when I change anything.
>
> I hear you.  That mason stuff is boggling my mind.  :-)
>
> rob

The coding is so tight and unlike any of the 'frilly' languages I am used
to.. Can't we all just program in Apple Hyperscript (tm)? *duck* :)