[rt-users] rt2 mailgate causes Perl "require" errors, tho ticket gets entered

Bruce Campbell bruce_campbell at ripe.net
Fri Feb 22 11:15:14 EST 2002

On 22 Feb 2002, Chris Shenton wrote:

> On 21 Feb 2002, Chris Shenton wrote:
>
> >   syntax error at (eval 60) line 1, near "require Mail::Mailer::/var/"
>
> Bruce Campbell <bruce_campbell at ripe.net> writes:
>
> > You have '/var/' in your RT config.pm somewhere, possible as part of
> > $MailCommand or $SendmailArguments.
>
> That's it!  I'm using qmail and figured I had to specify the path to
> it's "sendmail wrapper":
>
>     $MailCommand = '/var/qmail/bin/sendmail';
>
> But I was concerned that it without the full path, it would find the
> olde, stock sendmail.  So how do I specify the path to the wrapper in
> /var/qmail/bin/sendmail? Later in the config.pm, it says:
>
>     # !! If you did not # select 'sendmailpipe' above, this has no effect!!
>     $SendmailPath = "/usr/sbin/sendmail";
>
> And since I'm not using sendmailpipe I can't change it here.
>
> Sorry if I'm being dense, I'm just not clear on this.

Ok, up goes RT's hood again.  The quick answer is to use sendmailpipe in
$MailCommand, and ensure that $SendmailPath points to qmail's sendmail
interface (I'm no longer a qmail guru, so I'll point you to
www.fsck.com/rtfm/ for you search for 'qmail')

When you send as 'sendmail', you are invoking Mail::Mailer.  A perldoc on
this will show you PERL_MAILERS which you could conceivably put in RT's
config.pm ( $ENV{PERL_MAILERS} = examples there ) if your install of
Mail::Mailer doesn't know about the Qmail installation.

The easiest is possibly symbolic linking the common locations of the
sendmail binary (/usr/{lib,sbin}/sendmail) to /var/qmail/bin/sendmail .

Since you're from Nasa, could you redo the April 4 launch to that weekend?
I'd hate to miss out on seeing it ;)

Regards,

                   Systems/Network Engineer                             NCC
                 www.ripe.net - PGP562C8B1B                      Operations