[rt-users] Memory leak

Jesse Vincent jesse at bestpractical.com
Mon Jan 7 19:29:27 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 08, 2002 at 10:50:21AM +1100, Matthew Watson wrote:
> heya all,
>
>  Since putting my RT2 install live, i've noticed  a savage memory leak
> appearing in apache/mod_perl, my apache processes are getting up to 200mb+
> in size. I'm using
>
> apache 1.3.22
> mod_perl 1.26 (static)
> RT2 2.0.8
>
> Anyone else noticed this problem? I should probably also point out that I
> think my rt2 database is somewhat larger than most peoples here (at 250,000
> + tickets). I'd really like to talk to anyone with exprience running rt2
> with such a large ticket base.

I've run test databases double that size without seeing any sort of leakage
like that.  How easily reproducable is that memory leakage? How long does
it take to get that big?  Do processes just constantly grow, or do
they grow and shrink?  One quick fix is to configure your apache to reap
processes after a smaller number of connections. (How do you have it tuned
now?)